Open Letter: For healthy farms, people and planet the next CAP reform must deliver public goods

IFOAM EU, together with its organic farming association members from across Europe, has called on the EU Institutions to move the CAP post-2020 to a new model of farm payments which promotes sustainable farming systems.

In an open letter to the Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development Phil Hogan and key EU officials and representatives from the European Parliament and the Agriculture Council, IFOAM EU argues that despite improvements over the past 25 years, in particular a greater focus on the development of our rural areas, sustainability is not at the core of the CAP’s architecture (1). This makes the policy ill-equipped to confront the multitude of demands that society makes of farmers and at the same time creates a more positive environment for diversified markets and balanced rural development.

Instead, a fundamentally new approach to the CAP is needed to set in motion a new deal between farmers and citizens that strengthens the environmental and socio-economic performance of the agri-food sector. Further details are set out in new IFOAM EU’s Vision paper entitled A CAP for healthy farms, healthy people and healthy planet which has been published today. Key elements of IFOAM EU’ Vision for public goods under the CAP post-2020 include:

  • A public goods payment framework that incentivises and rewards farmers delivering a range of environmental and socio-economic services at farm level (100% EU financed)
  • Complementary supporting measures covering issues related to farm advice and extension services, supply chain development, infrastructural investments, innovation, organic farming payments, and promotional activities etc (nationally co-financed)
  • A single pillar structure with one budget, fully orientated to promoting agroecological outcomes - public goods payments representing 80% of the overall EU spending and supporting measures accounting for the remaining 20% by 2034

 

NOTES


1. Stolze, M., Sanders, J., Kasperczyk, N., Madsen G., (2016): Organic farming and the prospects for stimulating public goods under the CAP 2014-2020. IFOAM EU, Brussels

 

FURTHER INFORMATION

IFOAM EU open letter - For healthy farms, people and planet the next CAP reform must deliver public goods

IFOAM EU paper - A CAP for healthy farms, healthy people and healthy planet

Study - CAP 2014-2020: Organic farming and the prospects for stimulating public goods
Executive summary
Full Text

Share the news!

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon